Mathematics teaches pupils how to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables them to understand relationships and patterns in numbers and space within their day to day lives. As their knowledge and understanding grows, pupils will learn to appreciate and apply mathematics to a variety of contexts.
At Peregrines we aim to:
- promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system at levels appropriate to individuals
- develop the ability to apply knowledge and solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of contexts
- develop and apply a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented
- explore the features of shape and space, and develop and apply measuring skills in a range of contexts
- develop an understanding of the importance mathematics plays in everyday life
- develop the ability of pupils to apply their knowledge with confidence to new concepts
- encourage pupils to make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems
Each year group in the school has a maths lesson every day. The emphasis is on the four operations and number bonds, as well as mental calculations and problem solving. We spend a great deal of time teaching each concept in a practical manner before transferring it into a more abstract structure. We endeavour to make maths fun and very enjoyable for everyone.