At Peregrines Pre-Prep, our aim is to identify and encourage pupils who excel in one area of, or across the curriculum as a whole.
Class and specialist teachers are responsible for identifying those children with exceptional ability in a particular subject or area (talented) or across a range of subjects or areas (gifted). We strive to detect gifted and/or talented children at the earliest possible stage of schooling and to monitor their progress and development.
At Peregrines Pre-Prep, we recognise that gifted and talented children may exhibit the following general characteristics:
- Quick, insightful and original thinking
- Ability to reason, associate and link ideas and relationships and use these to solve problems
- Working well under pressure and not being phased by difficulties
- Demonstrating the ability to argue, question and reason using logical connectives
- Demonstrating the ability to think laterally and tackle problem solving from a variety of angles
- Generalising from a study of examples
Children identified as gifted and talented in one/several subject area(s) are registered by the school.
These children are challenged and encouraged to go beyond their comfort zone in order to keep them engaged in the learning process. A wide range of extension and enrichment materials and resources are provided to stimulate their interests and enhance their thinking skills. These are regularly updated to ensure that children have the best resources available to them.